How We Got Here podcast: Summing up Step Up
Monday afternoon, the Oklahoma House of Representatives is expected to vote on the major revenue bill within the Step Up Oklahoma plan. If HB 1033XX passes, a series of other bills within the Step Up plan would be considered as well.
In episode two of How We Got Here — a podcast from FKG Consulting in partnership with NonDoc — our three panelists discuss the Step Up Oklahoma plan through a series of questions:
- How did we reach this point?
- What groups have endorsed this plan?
- What is included in the plan?
- What are the politics of the Legislature considering the plan?
- What are the energy taxes involved?
- What constitutes the state’s larger budget picture?
Bryan Fried and Spencer Guinn of FKG, along with our editor in chief, William W. Savage III, also offer their opinions on what might happen if the vote fails in a manner similar to previous votes.
While it includes more reforms, income tax adjustments and a new wind tax, the Step Up plan is most similar to the “Plan A+” revenue proposal that fell five votes shy of the 76 needed for revenue measures. What remains to be seen is whether the Step Up Oklahoma revenue bill will receive more or fewer votes than “Plan A+” did.